[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Apr 12 11:07:50 EDT 2009

Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:50:36 -1000, Eric Firing wrote:
[clip]
>> Ah, I think I was confused between named branches and bookmarks. From
>> the description of bookmarks, this actually looks nearer to the git
>> cheap branch concept. I should really try it to get a good
>> understanding, though.
>
> I would not be surprised if bookmarks were directly inspired by that.
> There is also a localbranch extension, but it is not included in the
> distribution and hasn't gotten much attention. I have the sense that
> bookmarks were designed to accomplish the same thing.

Hg bookmarks cannot be easily shared remotely, similarly to Git's
branches. This is okay for topic branches, but is a drawback if you want
to share multiple lines of work with other people.

Also, based on a quick try, hg rebase + hg bookmarks don't play
completely well together, as rebasing tends to move also the "trunk"
bookmark around.

--
Pauli Virtanen