[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Apr 12 19:11:47 EDT 2009

Hi Martin

2009/4/13 Martin Geisler <mg at lazybytes.net>:
> In Mercurial it creates a *named
> branch*, which are imbedded in the history and are used for long-term
> development branches. Names of Git branches are not recorded in the
> history and are thus well-suited for local experiments.

[...]

> The bookmarks extension let you assign names to the heads, it is
> inspired by the way Git branches work. Unfortunately the bookmarks are
> not yet transferred over the network when you do push/pull, but this is
> of course a planned feature.

Thanks for the info.  Maybe you can also help me out with the
following questions: I'd like to know how to duplicate git's branch
workflow in Mercurial.

- How do you create a new head when you are working on top of the
current head?  Do you have to make a dummy commit and then commit on
top of (TIP - 1) whenever you need a new "branch"?
- Is it possible to remove a head without merging it, discarding the children?

Thanks,
Stéfan