[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 16 01:45:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:33:48PM +0100, Fadhley Salim wrote:
> We deploy on a very large number of computers in 5 countries.

> PEAK's Setuptools gives us the ability to do all this deployment
> automatically. If we can package all of our dependancies as egg files
> then setuptools automatically deploys the egg files from a bunch of
> web-servers we have around the globe. It would be an enormous pain if we
> had to go to every single machine and run an exe installer.

PEAK's setuptools is fragile with complex packages. This is the core
reason numpy is not distributed as an egg, as the implications on what
numpy would have to do to 'fit' in an egg compromise numpy's instal
quality (read: random crashes). David would tell you more about this,
since he went through all this pain.

Now, if you really want eggs to deploy (in lack of decent packaging
solution), you can talk to Enthought. They deploy their EPD packages
using eggs. It is going to cost you money, and AFAIK, they use a modified
version of setuptools to do deployement.

I haven't see any of the Enthought guys answer to your request, so I hope
I have'nt missed something about their product, or company policy, that
make it impossible to answer your request.

HTH,

Gaël