[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 16 03:02:01 EDT 2009

Robert Kern wrote:

> easy_install is documented to be able to find and convert a
> bdist_wininst .exe on the fly, so I believe that should be sufficient.

Yes, I've tried locally on a bdist_wininst exe, and easy_install could
install it. I have not tested it from the network.

> It might be tricky ensuring that it finds the correct one on the
> Sourceforge page, though. You may need to ensure that the names of the
> optimized .exes won't be interpreted by easy_install as being
> bdist_wininst installers that it can use.

What about just pushing the non optimized bdist_wininst installer on
pypi ? Is it guaranteed that easy_install would look there before
anything else ? When running easy_install in virtual env, I can see it
looks on pypi at first, but I don't know if that's something which I am
supposed to rely on,

David