[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:23:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:02, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>> easy_install is documented to be able to find and convert a
>> bdist_wininst .exe on the fly, so I believe that should be sufficient.
>
> Yes, I've tried locally on a bdist_wininst exe, and easy_install could
> install it. I have not tested it from the network.
>
>> It might be tricky ensuring that it finds the correct one on the
>> Sourceforge page, though. You may need to ensure that the names of the
>> optimized .exes won't be interpreted by easy_install as being
>> bdist_wininst installers that it can use.
>
> What about just pushing the non optimized bdist_wininst installer on
> pypi ? Is it guaranteed that easy_install would look there before
> anything else ? When running easy_install in virtual env, I can see it
> looks on pypi at first, but I don't know if that's something which I am
> supposed to rely on,

I think it will try to collect all of the possibilities by looking at
PyPI and the download link, then decide on the best one. But it could
be that if there are files on PyPI, it will only consider those. I
don't know.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."