[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:19:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Fadhley Salim
<Fadhley.Salim at uk.calyon.com> wrote:
> I agree with Robert
>
> There should be no reason on earth why you cannot use an Egg to package
> Numpy.

Actually, there is, although it is not really an egg deficiency. We
use ATLAS as blas/lapack, and ATLAS binaries are tuned for one
architecture. So we have a so called superpack binary installer which
contains several binaries, selects the best one on a given computer,
and installs it.

> Setuptools is not fragile, it's very stable but requires a bit of
> understanding.

setuptools and eggs are different things - the egg file format is
fine, and should not cause any instability whatsoever compared to a
normal binary install.

David