[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Fri Apr 17 05:48:57 EDT 2009

On 4/17/2009 10:50 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I think Matthieu meant you have to use VS2003 as a MS compiler. Mingw is
> obviously fine, since that's how numpy binaries are built for quite a
> long time

That is what I thought he meant as well, and it seems to be a widespread
belief. The fact that numpy is built with mingw proves it wrong,
obviously. I just wanted to point out what the real limitation is: don't
mix and blend CRTs and CRT resources. This is obviously not a Windows or
Python specific problem.

> gfortran 4.4 is pre-released software, though, so take care. I know for
> sure that gfortran + MS compiler can mix on 32 bits

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries

I use this 32 bit mingw binary to build my Cython and f2py extensions. I
works like a charm. I have licenses for Intel compilers at work, but I
prefer gfortran 4.4.

Sturla Molden