[Numpy-discussion] Porting strategy for py3k

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:01:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that a single code base should be used if possible however there
> are a lot of C code changes required as well as Python code changes:
> http://www.scipy.org/Python3k
> http://jarrodmillman.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-will-numpy-and-scipy-migrate-to.html

Yes, the C code is most likely the big work. That's another reason why
I have started to split the C code into smaller files which don't
include each other - we can port one file after the other. And even
though porting C code is obviously more difficult, handling thing with
one codebase should be easier in C with conditional compilation,
because it is "just" API changes, not language changes.

> Are the C code changes independent of the warnings provided by Python
> 2.6 -3 option and eventually the 2to3 tool?

I don't think there is any support for C code with the 2to3 tool. The
following website has interesting links:

http://pvergain.wordpress.com/py3k/

In particular, this one experience from Martin Loewis on porting some
codebase with C:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-porting/2008-December/000010.html

David