[Numpy-discussion] after building from source, how to register numpy with synaptic?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Apr 25 05:36:52 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:11:07PM -0400, Chris Colbert wrote:
>    Like the subject says, is there a way to register numpy with synaptic
>    after building numpy from source?

Don't play with the system's packaging system unless you really know what
you are doing.

Just install the numpy you are building outside of /usr/lib/... (you
should never be installing home-build stuff in there). For instance
install it in /usr/local:

    sudo python setup.py install --prefix /usr/local

Now it will override the system's numpy. So you can install matplotlib,
which will drag along the system's numpy, but you won't see it.

On a side note, I tend to install home-built packages that overide system
packages only in my home. I have a $HOME/usr directory, with a small
directory hierarchy (usr/lib, usr/bin, ...), it is added in my PATH and
PYTHONPATH, and I install there.

Gaël