[Numpy-discussion] Managing Python with NumPy and many external libraries on multiple Windows machines

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:28:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm... OK, I think that is because of the endianess function added to the
> API. It is called during module load and since it isn't there for 1.2,
> crash. There is also a check for the API version that should have raised an
> error, but evidently not.

Yes, this should have been detected.

> I think the endianess check should probably be
> moved to testing and not be done during the load. Or it can simply be
> removed from the interface and/or be implemented inline. I don't think
> having it in the interface is that important.

I am not sure I understand: it is expected that building software A
against B >= 1.3 cannot run with B < 1.3 (forward compatibility). It
is the same as a runtime error when running something with libfoo 1.2
but linked against 1.3, using a function 1.3 specific.

We should fix the undetected incompatibility, but I don't think we
should care about the incompatibility itself.

David