[Numpy-discussion] Creating a RGB-image from BW

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Tue Apr 28 07:47:38 EDT 2009

Hi Johannes,

According to http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/class-
gdkpixbuf.html , the pixels_array is a numeric python array (a
predecessor to numpy). The upshot is that perhaps the nice
broadcasting machinery will work fine:

pb_pixels[...] = fits_pixels[..., numpy.newaxis]

This might not work, though. But perhaps it would be possible to make
a numpy array that's really just a view onto the memory of pb_pixels,
or perhaps one could convert fits_pixels into a numeric array...
Hopefully someone on the list can make a suggestion about dealing with
numeric arrays.

Alternately, there are pixbuf methods for reading image data from
strings. You'd just need to get fits_pixels set up properly, then call
tostring() on it, and pass that to the pixbuf. The trick is in setting
up fits_pixels so that its memory layout corresponds to what gtk
wants. Usually, images are stored in memory as (r,g,b) tuples packed
by rows and then columns; this is I assume what GTK wants. So you'd do
something like:

fits_color = numpy.empty((height, width, 3), dtype=numpy.uint8)
fits_color[...] = fits_pixels[..., numpy.newaxis]
fits_string = fits_color.tostring()
pb = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_data(fits_string, gtk.gdk.COLORSPACE_RGB,
False, 8, 640, 480, 3*640)

Zach