[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-user] Managing Python with NumPy and many external libraries on multiple Windows machines

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Apr 28 17:52:03 EDT 2009

2009/4/28 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>:
>> IIRC, we can expose NPY_FEATURE_VERSION as part of the API without
>> breaking ABI compatibility, as long as we add it at the end of the API
>> functions list.  As a hack, we can then check the length of the API
>> functions list to make sure it is available before we call it.
>
> Why bother when you can combine it with NPY_VERSION and use the existing
> API?

We could, as long as NPY_VERSION always remains greater than its
current value.  We considered this option at SciPy'08 -- can you
remember why we decided to go for the "split" route instead?

When I implemented the change originally, I combined the two into one
vaue, as can be seen in the reviewed patches:

http://codereview.appspot.com/2946/show

Stéfan