[Numpy-discussion] How to preserve number of array dimensions when taking a slice?

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman pfeldman at verizon.net
Sat Aug 8 00:53:16 EDT 2009

I'd like to be able to make a slice of a 3-dimensional array, doing something
like the following:

Y= X[A, B, C]

where A, B, and C are lists of indices. This works, but has an unexpected
side-effect. When A, B, or C is a length-1 list, Y has fewer dimensions than
X. Is there a way to do the slice such that the number of dimensions is
preserved, i.e., I'd like Y to be a 3-dimensional array, even if one or more
dimensions is unity.  Is there a way to do this?