[Numpy-discussion] adaptive sampling of an interval or plane

John Hunter jdh2358 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:34:37 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:28 AM, John Hunter<jdh2358 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We would like to add function plotting to mpl, but to do this right we
> need to be able to adaptively sample a function evaluated over an
> interval so that some tolerance condition is satisfied, perhaps with
> both a relative and absolute error tolerance condition.  I am a bit
> out of my area of competency here, eg I do not know exactly how the
> tolerance condition should be specified, but I suspect some of you
> here may be experts on this.  Does anyone have some code compatible
> with the BSD license, preferably based on numpy but we would consider
> an extension code or scipy solution, for doing this?
>
> The functionality we have in mind is provided in matlab with fplot
>
>  http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/fplot.html
>
> We would like 1D and 2D versions of this ideally.  If anyone has some
> suggestions, let me know.

Denis Bzowy has replied to me off list with some code adaptive spline
approximation code he is working on.  He has documentation and code
for the 1D case, and is preparing for the 2D case, and is seeking
feedback.  He's having trouble posting to the list, and asked me to
forward this, so please make sure his email, included in this post, is
in any replies

http://drop.io/denis_adaspline1