[Numpy-discussion] finding range of values below threshold in sorted array

Mark Bakker markbak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 08:27:23 EDT 2009

Hello List,
I am trying to find a quick way to do the following:

I have a *sorted* array of real numbers, say array A, sorted in ascending
order (but easy to store descending if that would help)

I want to find all numbers below a certain value, say b

Sure, I can do

A < b

and I will get back a list with a bunch of True-s and then a bunch of
False's,

but all I need is the highest index for which A[i] < b, since A is sorted.

Does anybody know a quick way to do this? I need to do it a lot, so the
quicker the better.

Thanks,

Mark