[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate chararray [was [SciPy-dev] Plea for help]

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 12:27:45 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 8/20/09, Christopher Hanley <chanley at stsci.edu> wrote:

> I'd like to respectfully request that we move any
> discussion of what
> to do with the numpy.char module to the numpy list.

NP, done.

> I'm a little concerned about some of the assumptions that
> are being
> made about the number of users of the module.  I would
> also like to
> better understand the reasons for wanting to dump it.

I think Ralf did a pretty good job of synopsizing the reasons for deprecation, but since we're moving the thread, I'll reprint them here:

0) "it gets very little use" (an assumption you presumably dispute);

1) "is pretty much undocumented" (less true than a week ago, but still true for several of the attributes, with another handful or so falling into the category of "poorly documented");

2) "probably more buggy than most other parts of NumPy" ("probably" being a euphemism, IMO);

3) "there is not a really good use-case for it" (a conjecture, but one that has yet to be challenged by counter-example);

4) it's not the first time its presence in NumPy has been questioned ("as Stefan pointed out when asking this same question last year")

5) NumPy already has a (perhaps superior) alternative ("object arrays would do nicely if one needs this functionality");

to which I'll add:

6) it is, on its face, "counter to the spirit" of NumPy.

So far, IIRC, the only reason in favor of its continued inclusion is inertia.

> Let me be
> clear.  I'm not opposed to change.  However
> breaking other people's
> code just for the sake of change seems like a poor reason

So, I don't think we're proposing this "just for the sake of change"

> and a mean
> thing to do to our customers.

Apologies, but it is not proposed maliciously.

The only other things I would add by way of "review" from the scipy-dev thread:

a compromise proposal (made by Ralf):

"Put clearly in the docs that this module exists for backwards compatibility reasons, and is not recommended for new development"

and a clarification of deprecation process (provided by Robert):

"[asked by the present author] How has deprecation in Numpy worked in the past - by dictum, vote, or consensus?

[Robert's answer] Consensus or dictum without major objection. Voting is pointless except to inform one of those."

Thanks for your time and consideration.

David Goldsmith