[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.4.0 rc1 released

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 2 05:51:10 EST 2009

René Dudfield wrote:
> We put in some hacks into pygame distutils for removing old files
> (with msi installer, and for setup.py installer).  However I think the
> long term solution they are thinking of is to allow distutils to
> uninstall correctly.

I think this is just wishful thinking from people who try to improve
distutils - it is near impossible to implement this correctly with
distutils, because of how install works (i.e. just dumping whatever
happens to be in build directory, hope that the list of files is
correctly handled - which is almost never the case in my experience).

That's one of the major flaw of distutils which I hope to fix with my
project toydist, by being very explicit at each step. In particular, the
install steps are described from a file generated at build time, and all
binary installers and eggs will be based on this generated file.

> I could submit a patch for numpy if you are interested?  It would
> require a list of old files from previous versions of numpy (like
> numpy/core/test_defmatrix.py).

Do you mean that the files to remove have to be tracked manually ? You
can always submit a patch to trac, though,

cheers,

David