[Numpy-discussion] Find the N maximum values and corresponding indexes in an array

Howard Chong hgchong at berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:24:44 EST 2009

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I think the partial sort is exactly
what I need.

I thought of doing it as a full sort with argsort(), but that would be much
slower if I just need a small number (maybe 7) from a large array,
potentially thousands or a million repeated many times.

In case you are wondering, I am doing this to find the 7 nearest neighbors
in a GIS. For a list of zipcodes in America, find the 7 nearest weather
stations.