[Numpy-discussion] Three bugs fixed

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:48:35 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>

>> I like the waterfall view
>> http://buildbot.scipy.org/waterfall?show_events=false, it doesn't
>> automatically update though, so you need to refresh it now and then. The
>> root page is at http://buildbot.scipy.org/. Mind, the SPARC machines take
>> 10-15 minutes to complete on a good day. If you hit the stdio link on the
>> waterfall display for a machine you can view the test output.
>>
>> I expect the bus error is from the starting index fix.
>>

> I'm not sure which fix that was.   The bus errors started when I added the
> test for #1299.  I also fixed the test with the reduceat bug in that same
> checkin, but the SPARC build machines are reporting a bus error in testing
> #1299.
>
> I'm not sure where the bus error is occurring in that code exactly (i.e.
> the test wasn't being run before my fix so it could have exposed a bus error
> earlier --- obviously I need to play better with the build-bots than I am
> doing).

The error could certainly been lurking all these years, I don't think
reduceat gets used much.

> A likely candidate though is the PyArray_Item_INCREF  call (though it uses
> the new copy-object-before-refcount-changes  semantics).

Would that cause a bus error? That looks like an alignment issue. There was
another buffer alignment issue a while back that I fixed, I'll try to track
it down. Maybe we can get Michael Droettboom to help here, he has access to
SPARC.

Chuck