[Numpy-discussion] Chararray depreciated?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 6 07:11:24 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.chararray.html
> says that chararray are depreciated. I think I saw a discussion on the
> mailing list that hinted otherwise. Which one is true? Should I correct
> the docs?

You're right, after Mike's fixes that note should have been changed. I
thought Mike had also proposed an alternative text, but I can't find it
right now. So feel free to change it.

Also keep in mind the following (from another of Mike's emails):
"All vectorized string operations are now available as regular functions in
the numpy.char namespace.  Usage of the chararray view class is only
recommended for numarray backward compatibility."

Cheers,
Ralf