[Numpy-discussion] Chararray depreciated?

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Mon Dec 7 09:17:08 EST 2009

Also noticed that

http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.core.defchararray.chararray/

lists a number of methods that are really applicable.  For example
"sum".  This is a side effect of course of chararray inheriting from
ndarray, and the documentation isn't "wrong" -- chararray has a "sum"
method, it's just that it doesn't make sense and you get:

   TypeError: cannot perform reduce with flexible type

when trying to run it.

I suspect fixing this at the implementation level may be too
difficult/dangerous, but for documentation purposes, is there a way to
explicitly list the methods for the chararray class?

Mike