[Numpy-discussion] Assigning complex values to a real array

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman pfeldman at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 20:54:07 EST 2009

Pauli Virtanen-3 wrote:

> Nevertheless, I can't really regard dropping the imaginary part a
> significant issue.

I am amazed that anyone could say this.  For anyone who works with Fourier
transforms, or with electrical circuits, or with electromagnetic waves,
dropping the imaginary part is a huge issue because we get answers that are
totally wrong.

When I recently tried to validate a code, the answers were wrong, and it
took two full days to track down the cause.  I am now forced to reconsider
carefully whether Python/NumPy is a suitable platform for serious scientific
computing.