[Numpy-discussion] [Nipy-devel] Impossibility to build nipy on recent numpy?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Dec 10 06:43:53 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:59:30AM +0100, Alexis Roche wrote:
> Apparently you are trying to link nipy with an in-place build of
> numpy, is that correct? Are you confident that the nipy setup does not
> mix bits of your local numpy with another site-package install? My
> question might be naive: I never build anything in-place (and never
> had this bug, although it might be unrelated).

It does seem like it might be a mess related to having two numpy
installed: the local one, and the system one. It seems that during
compilation of nipy, numpy.distutils picks up the wrong header, that is
the system ones, and not those of my local instal of numpy (I tried with
a 'develop' and with an 'install').

When I compile nipy, the compile options are:

compile options: '-DATLAS_INFO="\"3.6.0\"" -I/usr/include
-I/home/varoquau/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include
-I/home/varoquau/dev/nipy-neurospin/libcstat/fff
-I/home/varoquau/dev/nipy-neurospin/libcstat/randomkit
-I/home/varoquau/dev/nipy-neurospin/libcstat/wrapper
-I/home/varoquau/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include
-I/usr/include -I/usr/include/python2.6 -c'

In /usr/include, there is (under ubuntu Karmic) a numpy directory, with
the numpy headers, corresponding to the system numpy.

I don't want to remove these headers, as that would mean removing the
python-numpy package on which many other packages depend.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to cleanly solve the problem? I
fear I won't be the only one to have it.

Gaël