[Numpy-discussion] [Nipy-devel] Impossibility to build nipy on recent numpy?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:28:52 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could also try playing with the order of the -Ipath to make sure
> the right one us picked up before /usr/include, but I am not sure it
> is even possible, as /usr/include may always be the first one gcc
> looks in.

Gael, orthogonal to reporting this to Ubuntu, I think you can do what
David suggests by configuring your variables correctly.

I have a pretty strictly manipulated set of valid installation $PREFIX
location, all of which I can use for

./configure --prefix=$PREFIX

or

./setup.py install --prefix=$PREFIX

and that's because for each one of these, I correctly configure ALL of these:

PATH: binary execution
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: dynamic linker search path
LIBRARY_PATH: static linking by gcc (like -L)
CPATH: generic include path for gcc (like -I), used for all languages
C_INCLUDE_PATH: C-specific include path, after CPATH
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH: C++-specific include path, after CPATH
PYTHONPATH: search path for python packages

I have some bash code to do this automatically, I can send it your way
if you want.

This doesn't out of the box work for in-place installs, because it
creates pythonpath with pythonX.Y/site-packages, so it would not cover
your in-place headers.  But you could easily use the utilities in
there to configure some of the *PATH variables with the location of
your numpy source tree, so the in-place installs work as you expect
them.

I haven't tested it, but I think it should work.

Cheers,