[Numpy-discussion] [Nipy-devel] Impossibility to build nipy on recent numpy?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:53:41 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> I have an aversion to changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH,
> C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPATH, and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, because I believe it leads
> to non reproducibles builds or run-time.
>
> More importantly, having to pull these tricks often reveals
> non-compatible run-times, and thus impossibility to share code, eg to use
> system code in localy-installed packages[*].

Having local prefixes that are fully defined (i.e. where all *path
variables are valid) makes it easy to do local installs under $HOME of
just about anything, something that I need often when I'm running in
environments where I don't have root access.  That's really why I
settled on this practice, and so far it's served me well.

Cheers,