[Numpy-discussion] no ordinary Bessel functions?

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman pfeldman at verizon.net
Mon Dec 14 23:30:08 EST 2009

When I issue the command

np.lookfor('bessel')

I get the following:

Search results for 'bessel'
---------------------------
numpy.i0
    Modified Bessel function of the first kind, order 0.
numpy.kaiser
    Return the Kaiser window.
numpy.random.vonmises
    Draw samples from a von Mises distribution.

I assume that there is an ordinary (unmodified) Bessel function in NumPy,
but have not been able to figure out how to access it. Also, I need to
operate sometimes on scalars, and sometimes on arrays. For operations on
scalars, are the NumPy Bessel functions significantly slower than the SciPy
Bessel functions?