[Numpy-discussion] fromfile can segfault if data is corrupted

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Fri Dec 18 17:58:35 EST 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Michael Droettboom
> <mdroe at stsci.edu> wrote:
> I just discovered a bug in fromfile where it can segfault if the
> file data is corrupted in such a way that the array size is insanely
> large.  (It was a byte-swapping problem in my own code, but it would
> be preferable to get an exception rather than a crash).
>
> It's a simple fix to propagate the "array too large" exception
> before trying to dereference the NULL array pointer (ret) in
> PyArray_FromFile (see attached patch).  But my question is: is this
> an appropriate fix for 1.4 (it seems pretty straightforward), or
> should I only make this to the trunk?
>

> David can weigh in here, but I think you should backport it. It's a
> bugfix, small, and there is going to be another rc.
>
> On the other hand, Travis should stop backporting new functionality.

And Chuck should stop making unrelated jabs....

I spoke with David C about making the change at SciPy India.     It
doesn't break any code and makes the datetime stuff in 1.4 more
usable.   In my mind datetime improvements are fair game for 1.4.0
until the release comes out.

Or is there something else you are upset about and want to bring up on
a public forum ?

-Travis