[Numpy-discussion] dot function or dot notation, matrices, arrays?

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 19 07:51:25 EST 2009

I'm trying to compute the angle between two vectors in three dimensional
space. For that, I need to use the "scalar (dot) product" , according to
a calculus book (quoting the book) I'm holding in my hands right now.
I've used dot() successfully to produce the necessary angle. My program
works just fine.

In the case of the dot(function), one must use np.dev(x.T,x), where x is
1x3.

I'm not quite sure what your point is about dot()* unless you are
thinking in some non-Euclidean fashion. One can form np.dot(a,b) with a
and b arrays of 3x4 and 4x2 shape to arrive at a 3x2 array. That's
definitely not a scalar. Is there a need for this sort of calculation in
non-Euclidean geometry, which I have never dealt with?

*Maybe it's about something else related to it.