[Numpy-discussion] numscons/numpy.distutils bug related to MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:12:52 EST 2009

I am trying to use numscons to build a project and have run into a
show stopper.  I am using:

OS X 10.5
The builtin Python 2.5.2

Here is what I see upon running python setup.py scons:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
DistutilsPlatformError: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET mismatch: now "10.3"
but "10.5" during configure:
  File "/Users/bgranger/Library/Python/2.5/src/numscons/tests/examples/checkers/SConstruct",
line 2:
    GetInitEnvironment(ARGUMENTS).DistutilsSConscript('SConscript')
  File "/Users/bgranger/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/numscons-0.9.4-py2.5.egg/numscons/core/numpyenv.py",
line 108:
[this goes on for a while]

This bug is one that I am familiar with.  Here is a sketch:

* numpy.distutils sets MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 if
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is not set in the environment.

* But, the built-in Python on OS X 10.5 has
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5.  When Python is built, it saves this
info in a file.

* When called distutils checks to make sure that the current value of
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET matches the one that was used to build
Python.

Hence the mismatch.  I am pretty sure that the offending code is in:

numpy.distutils.fcompiler.gnu.get_flags_linker_so

I think I know how to fix this and will get started on it, but I
wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this or knew
another way around this.

Cheers,

Brian