[Numpy-discussion] Few minor issues with numscons

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:13:02 EST 2009

Hi Brian,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> I am trying to use numscons to build a project and am running into
> some problems:
>
> Two smaller issues and one show stopper.  First, the smaller ones:
>
> * The web presense of numscons is currently very confusing.  There are
> a couple of locations with info about it, but the most prominent ones
> appear to be quite outdated:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/NumScons
>
> ...refers to...
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/numpy.scons.support
>
> Which is no longer being used and doesn't have any links to the most
> recent versions  I had to hunt for a while to find the develoment
> repo, which is on github and the most recent release, which is now at
> pypi.

The releases are on Pypi for quite some time. I converted the repo to
git and put it on github, but I have not really worked on numscons for
several months now for lack of time ( and because numscons it mostly
"done" and the main limitations of numscons are not fixable without
fixing some fairly major scons limitations).

Basically, the repo on github is only the convertion from bzr, without
any new features.

> It is probably a good idea to update these locations so as not to
> confuse new folks (or old folks too).
>
> * The scons/scons-local subdir is not installed when running python
> setup.py install.  I had to use python setupegg.py to get this to
> install in the right place.

That's strange, you are not the first one to mention this bug, but I
never had this problem myself - I myself never use setupegg except
when creating eggs for pypi.

cheers,

David