[Numpy-discussion] Fast threading solution thoughts

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Thu Feb 12 14:36:27 EST 2009

Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> Hmm... yes. Care would need to be taken though because Cython might in
> the future very well generate a "while" loop instead for such a
> statement under some circumstances, and that won't work with OpenMP. One
> should be careful with assuming what the C result will be of Cython
> code. That's why I proposed using an alternative construct which both
> does the OpenMP stuff and contains the for loop.

As a matter of fact, the next Cython release might prepend all
for-in-range-loops with an if-test under some circumstances, in order to
better match Python looping semantics (if the loop isn't executed, the
loop counter should never be written to -- in contrast with C). So this
is already happening. OpenMP might need different loop semantics and so
calls for a different construct.

--
Dag Sverre