[Numpy-discussion] GMRES internal variables

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 02:15:57 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM,  <jordan at math.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to run multiple instances of GMRES at the same time (one inside
> another actually, used inside of the preconditioner routine) but am
> running in to some problems. My guess is there is a single set of internal
> variables associated with GMRES and when I initiate a new GMRES inside a
> currently running GMRES, the old GMRES data gets the boot.
>
> Is this correct, and if so any suggestions on how to fix this?

This recently came up on SciPy-User:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/19197/focus=19206

One solution:  PyAMG's GMRES implementation (pyamg.krylov.gmres)
should be a drop-in replacement for SciPy's gmres().  Unlike the CG
code mentioned above, you can't use gmres.py without some other
compiled components (i.e. you'll need the whole pyamg package).

We should have this resolved in the next scipy release (either 0.7.x or 0.8).

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/