[Numpy-discussion] inplace dot products (Robert Kern) (Re: Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 29, Issue 69)

David Henderson davidh at ipac.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 20 14:20:03 EST 2009

Hello all,

I've been toying with the idea of an extended precision accumulator
for the dot product written in numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c

Once the modification is being performed, there is no reason not to
allow the specification of an output array.

The functions that exist now:

The routine cumsum already exists with an accumulator of a specific
type. The output location is an optional argument.
numpy.cumsum(a, axis=None, dtype=None, out=None)

Various forms of inner product (dot product) also exist:

numpy.tensordot(a, b, axes=2)
Returns the tensor dot product for (ndim >= 1) arrays along an axes.
The first element of the sequence determines the axis or axes
in `a` to sum over, and the second element in `axes` argument sequence
determines the axis or axes in `b` to sum over.

numpy.vdot(a,b)
Returns the dot product of a and b for scalars and vectors
of floating point and complex types.  The first argument, a, is
conjugated.

numpy.innerproduct(a,b)
Returns the inner product of a and b for arrays of floating point types.
Like the generic NumPy equivalent the product sum is over
the last dimension of a and b.
NB: The first argument is not conjugated.

The proposed extensions:

numpy.tensordot(a, b, axes=2, dtype=None, out=None)
numpy.vdot(a,b, dtype=None, out=None)
numpy.innerproduct(a,b, dtype=None, out=None)   (found in numpy/core/
src/multiarraymodule.c)

Is this so difficult an extension to implement? Is there a better
functional specification to be made?

Granted, these routines do not exist in blas. Therefore, they
wouldn't be speedy, at least without blas extensions. But... the key
routines to make the generic extension already exist in numpy without
blas.

from numeric.py:
         When Numpy is built with an accelerated BLAS like ATLAS,
these functions
         are replaced to make use of the faster implementations.  The
faster
         implementations only affect float32, float64, complex64, and
complex128
         arrays. Furthermore, the BLAS API only includes matrix-matrix,
         matrix-vector, and vector-vector products. Products of
arrays with larger
         dimensionalities use the built in functions and are not
accelerated.

Looking at numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c:

The existing routine that allows an accumulator specification and
output array:

static PyObject *
PyArray_Sum(PyArrayObject *self, int axis, int rtype, PyArrayObject
*out)

The routine that would be modified and its new function prototypes:

static PyObject *
PyArray_InnerProduct(PyObject *op1, PyObject *op2, int rtype,
PyArrayObject *out)

Other C code that might be modified to support the new functionality
is in arraytypes.inc.src. Routines here perform a dot product along
one dimension for various argument dtypes and accumulator dtypes.

It looks like the accumulator type is encoded in the #out signature.
As I read it, there is no change needed to this source as all the
different accumulator types are present in the output signature.

/**begin repeat
#name=BYTE, UBYTE, SHORT, USHORT, INT, UINT, LONG, ULONG, LONGLONG,
ULONGLONG, FLOAT, DOUBLE, LONGDOUBLE#
#type= byte, ubyte, short, ushort, int, uint, long, ulong, longlong,
ulonglong, float, double, longdouble#
#out= long, ulong, long, ulong, long, ulong, long, ulong, longlong,
ulonglong, float, double, longdouble#
*/
static void
@name at _dot(char *ip1, intp is1, char *ip2, intp is2, char *op, intp n,

So far, the changes dont seem to be too messy. Am I missing anything
here?

David