[Numpy-discussion] genloadtxt : ready for inclusion

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 15:26:14 EST 2009

All,
You'll probably remember that last December, I started rewriting
np.loadtxt and ame up with a series of functions that support missing
data. I tried to copy/paste the code in numpy.lib.io.py but ran into
dependency problems and left it at that. I think that part of the
reason is that the code relies on numpy.ma which can't be loaded when
numpy.lib gets loaded.

As I needed a way to grant access to the code to anybody, I created a
small project on launchpad: you can access it to:

https://code.launchpad.net/~pierregm/numpy/numpy_addons

The loadtxt reimplementation functions can be found in the
numpy.io.fromascii module, their unittest in the corresponding test
directory. In addition, you'll find several other functions and their
unittest to manipulate arrays w/ flexible data-type. They are
basically rewritten version of some functions in matplotlib.mlab.

Would anybody be willing to try inserting the new functions in numpy ?
I was hoping the genfromtxt and consorts would make it to numpy 1.3.x
(I'd need the code for the scikits.timeseries package).

As usual, I'd need all the feedback you can share.

Thanks a lot in advance.
P.