[Numpy-discussion] building numpy/scipy

Mike Landis mlandis001 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 23:20:40 EST 2009

Josef (sorry about spelling your name wrong in a previous post),

Thanks for the continued suggestions.  I deleted the site-packages:
numpy and scipy, and reinstalled each using the current release
superpacks (numpy first, then scipy).

then I ran:

python -c 'import numpy; numpy.test()'

and got:

Running unit tests for numpy
NumPy version 1.2.1
NumPy is installed in d::\Programs\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy
Python version 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar 27 2008, 17:57:18) IMSC v.1310
32 bit (ntel)]
nose version 0.10.4
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "(string)", line 1, in <module>
   File
"d::\Programs\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\nosetester.py",
line 264, in test
     import doctest
   File"d:\Programs\Python25\lib\doctest.p", line 99, in <module>
     import unittest, difflib, pd, tempfile
   File "d:\programs\python25\lib\tempfile.py", line 33, in <module>
     from random import Random as __Random
ImportError: cannot import name Random

scipy.test() bombs out with the exact same Traceback, except that it
mentions the scipy version (0,7.0.dev5180) and scipy install
directory just before it echoes the line with the python version number.

So, it's not getting as far as it was with the source mixed in.