[Numpy-discussion] building numpy/scipy

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 23:52:46 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 22:38, Mike Landis <mlandis001 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Maybe the following will also be useful...  Recall that I completely
>> deleted numpy and scipy and reinstalled each from their respective
>> superpacks, then ran:
>>
>>  >>> import numpy; numpy.__file__
>> 'D:\\Programs\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\numpy\\__init__.pyc'
>>
>>  >>> import scipy; scipy.__file__
>> 'D:\\Programs\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\scipy\\__init__.pyc'
>>
>> $ cd site-packages\numpy; python setup.py config
>> This is the wrong setup.py file to run
>
> That message is correct. Don't do that. You don't run the setup.py
> scripts on installed binaries.
>
>> $ cd site-packages\scipy; python setup.py config
>
> Don't do that either.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

> though it had an underlying truth."
>  -- Umberto Eco

Mike,
don't go in site-packages at all, except for browsing and looking at
the source for information.

basic steps:

run installer
go to a working directory, not under the python directory in programs,
(and without any scipy, numpy source in it)
then start python or idle there
and then import numpy and scipy and test, that's it.

Unless there is a reason for you to change the numpy, scipy source
there is no reason for you to touch any of the config, compile build
steps. They are for later, when you need additional packages that
don't have an installer.

To get up and running, I recommend just to follow the basic steps for a user.

Josef