[Numpy-discussion] when will osx linker option -bundle be reflected in distutils

Daniel Macks dmacks at netspace.org
Mon Jan 5 23:11:30 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 11:48:57AM +1100, Garry Willgoose wrote:
> The 'shared' option is not implemented in the osx linker. Not sure
> what the underlying difference between 'shared' and 'bundle' is

To answer this narrow part of the question, -shared is the way to
build shared libraries on linux (I think it's part of the standard GNU
ld and/or ELF binary format), and is how one builds all sorts of .so.
On OS X, there is a difference between a "dynamic library" (one that
is linked later via "-lFOO" flags, standard extension .dylib) and a
"loadable module" (one that is loaded at runtime via dlopen() or
similar methods, often extension .so). Linux doesn't have as sharp a
distinction. OS X linker uses different flags to specify which one to
build (-dynamiclib and -bundle, respectively).

dan

--
Daniel Macks
dmacks at netspace.org