[Numpy-discussion] Numpy performance vs Matlab.

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Jan 7 13:50:54 EST 2009

On 1/7/2009 6:51 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Even with this nifty JIT,

It is not a very nifty JIT. It can transform some simple loops into
vectorized expressions. And it removes the overhead from indexing with
doubles.

But if you are among those that do

n = length(x)
m = 0
for i = 1.0 : n
   m = m + x(i)
end
m = m / n

instead of

m = mean(x)

it will be nifty enough.

> All lot of folks seem to think that the only reason to "vectorize" code
> in MATLAB, numpy, etc, is for better performance. If MATLAB now has a
> good JIT, then there is no point -- I think that's a mistake.

Fortran 90/95 has array slicing as well.

Sturla Molden