[Numpy-discussion] change made to test_print.py

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:36:37 EST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Christopher Hanley <chanley at stsci.edu> wrote:
>> David Cournapeau wrote:

>>> No. The problem are known, and are being fixed (in a branch). Since
>>> the problem is only in the development trunk, I don't see any problem
>>> with having failures for some time,
>>>
>>> David
>> I would disagree.  If you were to attempt the following:
>>
>> n = numpy.test()
>> n.wasSuccessful()
>>
>> You expect the result to be 'True'.  If not it is necessary to find out
>> why.  Right now the following occurs:
>>
>>  >>> n.wasSuccessful()
>> False
>>
>> I have no way of knowing that you wanted those tests to fail unless you
>> have them marked as KNOWNFAIL. Since we use numpy in our production
>> systems I need to determine why numpy is failing.  We track the changes
>> on the trunk because we need to know how changes will effect our code
>> prior to our customers downloading the latest numpy release.
>
> I don't understand: you can't expect the trunk to always work. We try
> not to break it - but sometimes it does not work.
>
> Personally, I don't like knownfailure much anyway: I feel like it is
> too easy to tag one test known failure, and then nobody cares about it
> anymore. Those formatting problems were already problems before - the
> tests only show the problem, it does not cause the problem, so I don't
> understand why it is so important: a 100 % running test suite with a
> problem which is not shown or a 95 % running test suite with the
> problem is the same thing; the code in numpy itself is exactly the
> same.
>
> David

I do not expect the trunk to always work.  I even expect it to have
bugs.  However, I do not expect there to be test failures for known
reasons that result in wasSuccessful() returning false.  This is a bad
programming practice.  It creates work for people trying to figure out
what is wrong when the answer is already know.

Chris

--
Christopher Hanley
Senior Systems Software Engineer