[Numpy-discussion] Build errors

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Jan 15 05:54:55 EST 2009

OK, here we go for the stupid questions showing that I really don't
understaind building well:

I am building numpy on a Mandriva x86_64. I built an optimized ATLAS, and
added the relevant lines to the site.cfg so that numpy does find the
libraries. But now I get the following error at build:

/usr/bin/ld: /volatile/varoquau/usr/lib//libptcblas.a(cblas_dptgemm.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/volatile/varoquau/usr/lib//libptcblas.a: could not read symbols: Bad
value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I must confess I really have no clue what this means, and how I solve
this.

Cheers,

Gaël