[Numpy-discussion] Please don't use google code for hosting

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:27:33 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 18:07, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just visiting colleagues in the Cuban Neuroscience Center, and of
> course I'm trying to persuade them that Python and open-source are the
> way forward.
>
> This is made more difficult because several projects - for example
> pyglet - have their repositories on Google code.  Google, unlike any
> other hoster I've come across, bans code downloads from Cuban
> addresses with a message that I am trying to download from 'a
> forbidden country'.  I assume they are playing safe with code export
> regulations.
>
> This breaks easy_install and direct downloads.
>
> I hope you agree with me that it serves nobody's interest to reduce
> collaboration with Cuban scientists on free software.
>
> So, please, if you are considering google code for hosting, consider
> other options.

As a workaround, you can ask the authors of the code your colleagues
are interested in to place their release tarballs on pypi in addition
to Google Code (the caveat being the 10MB/file limit imposed by the
admins. Complain to them, too!). For SVN access, you can probably set
up a bzr mirror on launchpad for them.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."