[Numpy-discussion] Pattern for reading non-simple binary files

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 16:31:23 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to read in a data from a binary-formatted file. I have the data
format, (available at:
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/documentlibrary/tddoc/td7000.pdf if you're
really curious), but it's not what I would consider simple, with a lot of
different blocks and messages, some that are optional and some that have
different formats depending on the data type.  My question is, has anyone dealt
with data like this using numpy?  Have you found a good pattern for how to
construct a numpy dtype dynamically to decode the different parts of the file
appropriately as you go along?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ryan

--