[Numpy-discussion] Bug with mafromtxt

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 18:23:02 EST 2009

Pierre GM wrote:
> Ryan,
> Thanks for reporting. An idea would be to force the dtype of the
> masked column to the largest dtype of the other columns (in your
> example, that would be int). I'll try to see how easily it can be done
> early next week. Meanwhile, you can always give an explicit dtype at
> creation.

Ok, thanks.  I've dug a little further, and it seems like the problem is that a
column of all missing values ends up as a column of all None's.  When you create
a (masked) array from a list of None's, you end up with an object array.  On one
hand I'd love for things to behave differently in this case, but on the other I
understand why things work this way.

Ryan