[Numpy-discussion] Ironclad 0.8 released

William Reade william at resolversystems.com
Thu Jan 29 22:42:29 EST 2009

Hi Tim

Thank you for your interest! To answer your various questions order
of approximately increasing complexity:

Most importantly: the currently available version of Resolver One
does not have numpy support built in, and for various reasons I
wouldn't advise trying to integrate Ironclad with v1.3; please wait
for 1.4 :-).

I just downloaded R and rpy2; they don't work with Ironclad at the
moment, and I'm not yet sure why.

Ironclad shouldn't require any special installation: just copy the
ironclad package (containing __init__.py, python25.dll and
ironclad.dll) to wherever you normally put packages for IronPython (I
personally have my IRONPYTHONPATH pointing to the appropriate
subdirectories of a standard Python 2.5 install). Clearly my
documentation is currently inadequate; I'll have to work on that for
the next release.

RO uses .NET DateTime objects by default, but it's perfectly possible
to use python datetime objects instead; I can confirm that you can
put both those datatypes into numpy arrays.

While RO doesn't have an explicit CSV/TSV import option, you should
be able to paste data in those formats directly into your worksheets;
and, as soon as we have numpy integration out in the wild, you should
be able to create ndarrays directly from your data files.

Scipy support is coming along surprisingly nicely; I'd sort of
forgotten about it until a couple of people asked me about it earlier
today, and it turns out -- to my surprise and delight -- that it took
very little work to get the SVN head running over 800 of the scipy
tests (even if you can't just 'import scipy' without errors). Sadly,
a lot of the modules seem to use scipy.sparse, which I can't
import... yet ;-).

So, we haven't built any scipy support into Resolver One yet, but
hopefully we'll be able to do so without too much pain.

Finally, I'm glad you like my screencast :-). I hope I haven't missed
anything; let me know if I have, or if I can help with anything else.

William