[Numpy-discussion] upgrading numpy to 1.3 on ubuntu

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 19:03:32 EDT 2009

I ran into this same problem a few days ago. The issue is that Python
imports from /usr/python2.6/dist-packages before
/usr/local/python2.6/dist-packages causing your numpy 1.3 (assuming its
installed there) to be hidden by the snaptic numpy.

To solve the problem, I added this line to my ~/.bashrc file:

export PYTHONPATH="${PYTHONPATH}:/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages"

replace the /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages with whatever directory
you installed your numpy 1.3 in. This path will be imported before any of
the other standard directories.