[Numpy-discussion] Using interpolate with zero-rank array raises error

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 09:51:51 EDT 2009

> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:37:58 -0400
> From: Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>
>
> It seems to me that there are quite a few other functions that will
> give
> errors with 0-D arrays (apply_along/over_axis are two that come to
> mind).
> There is nothing to interpolate so I'm not surprised.

Hmm, I don't quite understand. In the example below, the 0-D array
(`x0`) gives the x-value(s) where you want interpolated values. This
shouldn't require a non-scalar, and in fact, interp currently accepts
python scalars (but not Numpy scalars).

If the 0-D array replaced `x` and `y`---the known data points--- then,
I agree there would be nothing to interpolate. I believe the example
functions you cite are similar to replacing `x` and `y` below with
scalar values.

... or am I just missing something?

Thanks,
-Tony