[Numpy-discussion] Not enough storage for memmap on 32 bit WinXP for accumulated file size above approx. 1 GB

Robin robince at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:46:08 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Kim Hansen<slaunger at gmail.com> wrote:
> The machine is new and shiny with loads of processing power and many
> TB of HDD storage. I am however bound to 32 bits Win XP OS as there
> are some other costum made third-party and very expensive applications
> running on that machine (which generate the large files I analyze),
> which can only run on 32 bits, oh well....

You could think about using some kind of virtualisation - this is
exactly the sort of situation where I find it really useful.

You can run a 64 bit host OS, then have 32 bit XP as a 'guest' in
VMware or Virtualbox or some other virtualisation software. With
recent CPU's there is very little performance penalty (running 32bit
on a 64bit host) and it can be very convenient (it is easy to map
network drives between guest and host which perform very well since
the 'network' is virtual)

Cheers

Robin