[Numpy-discussion] Not enough storage for memmap on 32 bit WinXP for accumulated file size above approx. 1 GB

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 27 11:41:52 EDT 2009

Kim Hansen wrote:
> Yes, I see the problem in getting the same kind of reuse of objects
> using simple indexing. For my specific case, I will just allocate a
> new array as containing a copy of every 100th element and return this
> array. It will basically give me the same result as the original
> recarray is for read-only purposes only. This will be very simple
> implement for the specific cases I have

It does sound like PyTables may do just what you want, but if not:

You may be able to get this simple use case handles by writing your own
simple memory mapped array implementation, perhaps as a subclass of
ndarray, or perhaps from scratch. Python's "duck typing" could allow you
to simply plop your implementation in where you need it.

This does require that you really do only need a few simple features...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov