[Numpy-discussion] EPD Webinar August 7: Speed up Python (& wait list for non-subscribers!)

Amenity Applewhite amenity at enthought.com
Thu Jul 30 19:48:18 EDT 2009

Friday, August 7th 1pm CDT
How do I...speed up Python?  Exploration of Weave and Cython
We wanted to let you know that next week we'll host another
installment of our popular EPD webinar series. Although only EPD Basic
or above subscribers are guaranteed seats at EPD webinars, we invite
non-subscribers to add their names to the wating list for each event.
If there are available seats, you will be notified by next Thursday
and given access to the webinar.  Links to the waiting lists and
upcoming topics are posted here: http://enthought.com/training/webinars.php

These events feature detailed demonstrations of powerful Python
techniques that Enthought developers use to enhance our applications
or development process. Participants are often invited to participate
in the demonstration, and are welcome to join the interactive VOIP
discussion later in the session. This is a great opportunity to learn
new methods and interact with our expert developers.

If you have topics you'd like to see addressed during the webinar,
feel free to let us know at media at enthought.com.
How do I...speed up Python:  Exploration of Weave and Cython
Python excels as a language for rapid development and interactive
technical computing.   Sometimes, however, the full speed of the
machine is needed.  Fortunately, Python is also an excellent "glue"
language that allows simple integration to compiled languages.

In this webinar, we will present a few of the methods useful for
speeding up sections of code.  In particular we will focus on weave
and Cython.   Weave is a sub-package of SciPy (scipy.weave) and allows
seamless integration with C/C++.    Sections of code that need to be
sped up can be re-coded in C and seamlessly integrated into the
remaining Python program using weave.   Cython is a newer Python-like
language which is compiled to an extension module that can be
dynamically loaded into Python just like any other Python module.
Cython also supports writing new built-in Python types and tries to
compile loops to C-speeds when variable types are indicated.   Both
weave and Cython integrate well with NumPy which makes them ideal
whenever you need to iterate and calculate with large amounts of data
and can't find a built-in (vectorized) approach.

Once again, to add your name to the wait-list:
http://enthought.com/training/webinars.php

We hope to see you there!

Thanks,
Enthought Media