[Numpy-discussion] performance matrix multiplication vs. matlab

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 5 13:29:25 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

> It really depends on the CPU, compiler, how atlas was compiled, etc...
> it can be slightly faster to 10 times faster (if you use a very poorly
> optimized ATLAS).
>
> For some recent benchmarks:
>
> http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Benchmark

David,

The eigen web site indicates that eigen achieves high performance
without all the compilation difficulty of atlas.  Does eigen have enough
functionality to replace atlas in numpy?  Presumably it would need C
compatibility wrappers to emulate the blas functions.  Would that kill
its performance?  Or be very difficult?

(I'm asking from curiosity combined with complete ignorance.  Until
yesterday I had never even heard of eigen.)

Eric